Monday, April 27, 2009

Road Trips

I love them! I grew up with road trips and think that traveling in your car across the country is quite cool. Therefore, I will be imparting that lovely sense of open road on my daughter this summer.

As a kid, we traveled alot. My Dad was older when I was born, therefore he retired while I was still in middle school, leaving our summers free. We would be sitting around the kitchen table and my Dad would announce, tomorrow we start driving to the Grand Canyon. When I was 12 we went to Washington, D.C. and NYC. When I was 14 we went to Mount Rushmore. ETC.... We would be gone about 2 to 3 weeks and would eat wherever, sleep whenever and see the 'World's largest Ball of Twine'.

I have officially been to 46 of the 50 states. We somehow missed Seattle and Oregon and well, obviously Alaska is a bit far for a road trip and Hawaii would be impossible. I took all of that traveling for granted. Didn't realize that not many of my friends did.

Sometimes we would stay in real posh hotels, other times it was the 'flea bag Inn'. Sometimes we would dine on steak and some times we would McDonalds it. Whatever we did, it was fun. Even though, I didn't have a DVD player, or a Nintendo DS or even an IPOD. I remember when I was in high school and we trucked to Niagria Falls, I bought a Walkman and thought I was the coolest kid in the back seat EVER!

The crazy thing about road tripping is not having a real set agenda. It's tough when you have to go visit family in Utah and you have only 3 days to do it in. That is not fun! But taking the road less traveled and taking your time to stop at Stuckey's and debate about buying that box of candy with the 1 inch layer of dust on top, is....

So this summer, we will be driving down to NOLA for a cruise and then later in the Summer, Natalie, my Mother and myself will be having a good old fashioned road trip and truck to Orlando, FL. One night we'll eat steak and the next will be Chick-fil-a. Oh and I plan on stopping to see the world largest Frying Pan! I'll be sure and post those pics on FB.

No comments:

Post a Comment